I started on this project and totally forgot to grab a before picture! Sorry! This picture is the basic dresser but without the handles. The first step was taking the hardware off of the dresser. I then lightly washed the dresser with a moist rag. I let it dry completely before doing anything else!
The dresser was full of little scratches and dents. The goal was to cover them up!
Looking back, I went to a TON more work than I needed to! I stained this dresser ebony (basically black). Because I was staining, I had to strip it first. Stripping wood takes hours and makes a big mess. Then I sanded it to make sure the stain was going to adhere to it. I was finally ready to do the fun part, staining! I put on one coat and let it dry completely. Then, I lightly sanded again and put on a second layer of stain. This is one of the first projects I tackled staining so I was reading the directions on the can of stain and following them pretty closely. After two coats of stain, I lightly sanded again and put a layer of polyurethane to protect the finish. I have learned that polyurethane can yellow or tint the project, but since it was black I was not worried about it being discolored. This project is definitely not perfect, but the end product is 10 times better than before!
I didn't end up spray painting the hardware, but thought about it. I actually really liked the look of the dark on dark. For less than $3 though, I could have bought some spray paint and updated those too!
Here is what it is currently looking like these days! I am so pleased at how it turned out!